If you have an iron skillet
I would recommend using it instead of other bakeware,
as the resulting bottom crust
that develops is divine.
This skillet is one handed down from my Grandmother.
I treasure it, not only for the memories of family meals with loved ones, but because it is well seasoned and creates a consistent product every time.
2 cups self rising flour
1/2 t baking powder
1 t fresh thyme
1 c grated cheddar cheese
1 1/4 c buttermilk
4 T salted butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Sift flour and baking powder together in a bowl
- Add thyme and cheese, mix thoroughly
- Add buttermilk, mix until all incorporated
- Put melted butter in skillet/baking dish
- Spoon biscuit mix into skillet/baking dish (should yield about 12 biscuits)
- Turn each biscuit over in butter, sprinkle with Kosher salt
- Bake on top oven rack for 25 minutes