Welcome to my Food Journey

Curious Southern Cook on a journey to learn...and to create exceptional dining experiences. I love entertaining and preparing food for loved ones & friends and sharing those experiences with others. My wish is that you will be fed too. Bon Appetite!







Monday, June 10, 2013

MBQ Sauce


I love this time of year when Mother Nature gives us her best fruit and berries.  When I was a little girl we would go foraging for berries down the path at the fish camp and have cobbler at every meal.  Now... we have a prolific Blackberry vine on the side of our house and this year have an abundance of big, juicy Blackberries to eat fresh or transform into tasty treats.  Aside from cobbler (and don't get me wrong, I love cobbler) I will be experimenting with new ways to enjoy them.  I found that by combining with Mango and other ingredients, you can make a dee-licious MBQ, er, uh...BBQ Sauce.  I'm my husband's Grillfriend...and this sauce on country ribs and sausage earned me some extra points...wink, wink!  Savor summer's bounty and make your own sauce, you won't go back...I promise. 

MBQ Sauce
(Mango, Blackberry Q Sauce)

Yield: 3 cups

Ingredients

Flesh of 1 Mango, peeled and rough chopped
1 cup ripe Blackberries, rinsed and drained
½ Red Onion, rough chopped
Juice of 1 Lime
1 Chipotle Pepper
1 stick of Butter
½ cup Brown Sugar
¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce
½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
½ teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon ground Black Pepper

Method

  • Place Mango, Blackberries, Red Onion Chipotle Pepper and Lime Juice in a Vitamix or Blender.  Process until pureed. 
  • Strain fruit/veg puree into a pot. 
  • Add remainder of ingredients, stir until combined. 
  • Turn on heat to low/medium and let reduce for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
  • Let cool and use as you would your favorite BBQ Sauce. 
  • Store any unused portion in the refrigerator in a container with a tight fitting lid.
Enjoy!

~CGJ

No comments:

Post a Comment