Welcome to my Food Journey

Curious Southern Cook on a journey to learn...and to create exceptional dining experiences. I love entertaining and preparing food for loved ones & friends and sharing those experiences with others. My wish is that you will be fed too. Bon Appetite!







Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Grilled Okra




Evening  before last my friend Terrie Roberts posted on Facebook that she had overbought okra at the Farmers' Market and... "did anyone want some?"  Well, my love for okra goes way back and I couldn't help but to respond in the affirmative.  My intent was to fry part and use the rest for gumbo, but our dinner was mostly ready and it would have to wait.  In the mean while I began to study other ways to prepare it and ran across an article on okra in Southern Living.  One of the recipes called to grill it.  I used that recipe as a place to start, changing it a little and ended up with the one below.  It should be a great way to get any okra snobs in your family to try it.  They will be hooked for life.

Grilled Okra
Yield: 4 servings
Note: You will need 8 wooden skewers

Ingredients:
32 whole okra washed and stem end trimmed (8 per person)
4 t olive oil
3/4 t salt
1/2 t ground black pepper
1/2 t garlic powder

Method:
  • Preheat grill and turn down to medium.
  • In a bowl place the okra, add rest of the ingredients and mix to coat with clean hands.
  • Place 8 okra on 4 skewers, alternating tops and bottoms, run the other 4 skewers through the opposite ends.
  • You are ready to grill… about 3 to 4 minutes on each side (be careful when turning and taking up as they become soft and can come off the skewers).

Serve and enjoy!

~CGJ
  



No comments:

Post a Comment