Welcome to my Food Journey

Curious Southern Cook on a journey to learn...and to create exceptional dining experiences. I love entertaining and preparing food for loved ones & friends and sharing those experiences with others. My wish is that you will be fed too. Bon Appetite!







Thursday, September 29, 2011

Happy International Coffee Day – I Love Coffee

Background - As with many of you (probably), when someone in our office is out… a co-worker fills in as a vacation buddy until they return.  Usually too, the one vacationing brings back the buddy a little something in appreciation.  Last week I was Lisa Wellborn’s buddy and she brought me back a very nice Mexican vanilla.  Right away I began thinking about making Mexican coffee.  It was later I learned that today is “International Coffee Day", so it is appropriate for me to share this recipe with you... today.

Origin of Recipe – I have made Mexican coffee before, but wanted to present a recipe with more precise measurements than the way I usually make it… (A little of this and that).  Last night my friend Debbie Gillespie came over to help me make beignet dough in preparation for the Red River Revel that is starting this weekend (http://www.redriverrevel.com/).  Like me, Debbie loves coffee so I asked her to be of assistance in vetting this recipe.  We did learn that the cup measurement of my coffee carafe is based on a 5 ounce cup.  Who drinks 5 ounces of coffee?  Anyway, we had a blast trying to figure it out for you.  Happy International Coffee Day!
Note: Besides beignets, we will be serving cafe au lait and iced coffee at the Red River Revel October 1-8, 2011 - Booth #18, come see us!

Mexican Coffee
Makes 4-6 servings (depending on size of cup or mug)
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
30 ounces water
6 tablespoons ground dark roast coffee (I like Sumatran)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, plus extra for sprinkling
½ cup half & half (I used fat free)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
¾ cup chocolate liqueur (I used Godiva)
2 teaspoons Mexican vanilla (make sure that it does not contain Coumarin)
Whipped cream
Cinnamon stick (optional)

Place the cinnamon along with the coffee in the filter basket of the coffee maker, add water and brew.
In a microwave safe container, heat the half & half and brown sugar until hot and the brown sugar is dissolved (in my microwave it took about a minute).
Stir the heated half & half/brown sugar mixture into the brewed coffee.
Add the chocolate liquor and vanilla and stir.
Pour the coffee mixture into cups; add whipped cream, sprinkle cinnamon on top and add a cinnamon stick if desired.  Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment