It's late and we have just returned from visiting the "Country Mice". You see our dear friends Michael and Contina live way out where signals refuse to roam and legends of "Big Foot" are absolutely plausible. All kidding aside... Neil and I, the "City Mice", escape a couple of times a year to spend time with our friends and just "be". Sit on the dock, fish, walk in the woods, talk about the most trivial or important subjects of the day and admire the latest art works in process by our very creative friends. We always have a meal there too and tonight it was Contina's special grilled chicken using herbs from the garden. Being a "Southern Lady", I just can't show up empty handed... so I requested to bring a dessert. Cobbler is always a winner and in this case was very appreciated. I hope you have a chance to make it for your family and friends...guaranteed to put a smile on the faces of country mice and city mice alike.
Apple-Pear Cobbler (for the Country Mice)
Yield: 6 servings
Ingredients4 Granny Smith Apples, washed, peeled, cored and sliced
3 Bosc Pears, washed, peeled, cored and sliced
Acidulated water (about 8 c water with 2 T lemon juice)
3 T cornstarch
1 c brown sugar (divided)
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/8 t salt
4 t crystalized ginger, diced fine
4 T unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c Old Fashioned Oats
Whipped cream topping (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare fruit and place in container with acidulated water until all is processed.
- Drain and dry the fruit with paper towels.
- Place back in container, add cornstarch and with clean hands toss until well distributed.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 c of brown sugar, cinnamon and salt until combined. Add to fruit and mix thoroughly.
- Place in 11x7 baking dish.
- Sprinkle ginger on top of fruit.
- In small bowl combine butter, flour, remaining 1/2 c brown sugar, flour and oats, mixing again with clean hands and place over top of fruit.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Let cool slightly, serve warm (Optional) with whipped cream topping.