Welcome to my Food Journey

Curious Southern Cook on a journey to learn...and to create exceptional dining experiences. I love entertaining and preparing food for loved ones & friends and sharing those experiences with others. My wish is that you will be fed too. Bon Appetite!







Monday, April 1, 2013

Salmon Croquettes



When I was a girl growing up in the South in the 60's and 70's...it seemed quite common to have Salmon Croquettes... often, but from Salmon out of a can.  When I find it (fresh) on sale or entertain using a filet and have leftovers...one of my favorite ways to repurpose it is to make Croquettes. 
This version is one that packs quite a flavor punch using both honey and mustard.  The contrasting texture of the soft succulent middle juxtaposed with the crisp Panko covered outside makes for quite a combination.  
This is certainly an evolution of a dish that I served to MY daughter growing up... albeit Salmon from a can and on sale no doubt.

Don't waste those leftovers and stretch them even further by making it the centerpiece of a plate of salad(s).  I used what I had to make do.  If I had had a wedge of Parmesan....I certainly would have made shavings to garnish and augment the simple plate of mixed greens with a homemade dressing. 
I like this Balsamic Vinaigrette per Emeril (see link).

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/simple-balsamic-vinaigrette-recipe/index.html

Not to worry about buying that piece of fish that is a little bit too big, go ahead knowing you are a smart cookie and will create at least a couple of fabulous meals for you and your family and/or friends.
  



Salmon Croquettes

Yield: 4 Servings

Ingredients


1 lb Cooked Salmon, skinned and deboned (I used 2 big center cut leftover pieces)

Panko Breadcrumbs (2 T for filling and enough to cover the bottom of a plate for dredging)

2 T Parmesan Cheese

½ t Salt

¼ t Ground pepper

2T Mustard

2T Honey

1 Egg

Vegetable Oil (enough to cover the bottom of the skillet)

Method

Using a fork, shred the salmon in a bowl

Take the 2 T Panko, Parmesan, Salt and Pepper…mix together then add to the Salmon

Add Honey, Mustard and Egg and mix until well incorporated

Divide into 4 portions… shape into balls then flatten into patties (for more even cooking)

Dredge in the remaining Panko and set aside for 10 minutes to rest

Heat oil in a skillet and pan sauté 3 minutes per side or until golden brown
Enjoy
~CGJ

1 comment:

  1. Don't get me wrong... I am not dissing the can, but it's sooo much better made from Salmon you have prepared yourself. Any way you try it, you'll like it. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete