It's been a long week and we're going to have a quiet evening with one of our favorite television shows and a quick supper. I have to go to work early in the morning (Saturday) to help with a special event and I'm wanting something fast, comforting, and light but hearty. Breakfast for supper or breakfast for breakfast...these sweet potato pancakes will satisfy. Neil liked them so much, he's cleaning up the kitchen right now out of appreciation. This one's a keeper!
Sweet Potato Pancakes
Yield – 4 servings (10 to 12 medium pancakes)
1 medium sweet potato (peeled, cubed into ½ inch pieces and microwaved for 5 minutes with 1 T water)1 c buttermilk
3 T granulated sugar1 t vanilla
½ t salt½ t cinnamon
1 egg1 c self-rising flour
¼ c whole wheat flour1 T vegetable oil
- Place sweet potatoes, buttermilk, sugar, vanilla, salt, cinnamon and egg in a mixing bowl.
- Beat with a hand mixer until well incorporated.
- Add self-rising flour and whole wheat flour, mix until combined.
- Heat non-stick skillet on medium, add oil…, portion out batter, cook and turn when bubbles form on top. Cook second side until light golden brown.
- Continue cooking in batches until all batter is used.
- Serve with butter and syrup of choice, if desired.